Note: Videos are captioned and located on YouTube channels of the ADA National Network and the regional ADA centers, unless otherwise noted.
Topics for Videos
ADA (general) Videos
- Ask Your ADA Questions Playlist
- ADA Celebrations and Anniversary Playlist
- ADA State of the Science 2021
Three videos from the ADA National Network 2021 State of the Science highlight research related to successes and challenges in fulfilling the promise of the ADA. Each day the virtual conference featured a keynote speaker and research presentations, from the ADA Regional Centers as well as external researchers, focusing on unique themes.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Overview Highlights [6:30 minutes]
| ADA Overview Highlights
Highlights the signing of the ADA on July 26, 1990 by President George H.W. Bush, and the progress made through implementation of the ADA by bringing down barriers and providing access to opportunities, as well as civil rights protection, for employment and all types of activities to individuals with disabilities.
Web: youtu.be/ns7UY8HdPr8; youtu.be/nY-e1TtXWaw
- ADA Public Service Announcements Series
Six public service announcement videos (each 30-seconds) from the ADA National Network.
- Interview with John Wodatch: Retired Chief, Disability Rights Section, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Dept. of Justice [5:18 minutes]
John Wodatch – Retired Chief, Disability Rights Section, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Dept. of Justice – shares his thoughts on working with the ADA National Network since the passage of the ADA, the importance of National ADA Symposium, and trending issues in ADA implementation.
Source: Great Plains ADA Center during the 2013 National ADA Symposium in San Antonio, Texas
- ADA Signing Ceremony – July 26, 1990 – by President George H.W. Bush
[22 minutes, formats: captioned, audio described]
This video documents the speech given by President George H.W. Bush when he signed the ADA into law on July 26, 1990 on the south lawn of the White House.
Source: U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) Civil Rights Division
Business & ADA Videos
Business and ADA Matters Playlist
- Where’s Brett?
- Accessible Parking Video Fact Sheet
- Hotel renovations and accessible guest rooms
- Navigating the local State Code and the 2010 ADA Standards
Ten Small Business Mistakes Video
[13 minutes, formats: captioned, audio described]
Store owners express their doubts or misunderstandings about the ADA followed by responses from the Assistant Attorney for Civil Rights and other Department of Justice employees explaining the law in common sense terms.
Communication Access and ASL Videos
Communication Matters Playlist
- (ASL, CC) ADA Live! Special Episode: Gil v. Winn-Dixie, 11th Circuit Decision, Web Access & ADA
- Title IV of the ADA
Great Lakes ADA Center – ASL video resources
Education & ADA Videos
Education & Access Matters Playlist
- Day in Student Life
[30 seconds, captioned]
- Good Morning Class
[30 seconds, captioned, YouTube]
- Disability Mentoring Day and Career Expo at Nesbit Elementary in Gwinnett County, Georgia
[8:10 minutes, captioned, YouTube]
Success in College & Work: Students with Disabilities Videos [captioned]
Four videos (Danielle, Alexander, Valaska, Santara) about real-life strategies for school and getting jobs from students with disabilities, including the struggles of self-reporting a disability and negotiating accommodations in school and at work.
Source: New England ADA Center.
Employment & ADA Videos
Employment and ADA Matters Playlist
- Who is protected from employment discrimination?
[1:38 minutes, captioned]
- ‘Qualified individual’ and ‘essential functions of a job’ – what do they mean?
[1:44 minutes. captioned]
- Employers’ Rights and Responsibilities Under the ADA
[1:47 minutes, captioned]
- Reasonable Accommodations
- Top Tips for Reasonable Accommodations: Just Ask!
- Top Tips for Reasonable Accommodations with John Kemp
- Top Tips for Reasonable Accommodations: Overcoming Barriers
- The Employer’s Guide to Reasonable Accommodation
- Top Tips for Reasonable Accommodations: Just Ask!
- Employing People with Disabilities
[8 minutes, captioned]
Punch-In: Your Self-Directed Employment Assistant: Digital Tips and Expert Video Series [captioned]
Collection of captioned videos to help students and young adults with disabilities to make connections and be successful in their job-seeking process and employment endeavors.
Source: Great Lakes ADA Center.
What Can YOU Do? Campaign for Disability Employment Videos [YouTube]
The Campaign for Disability Employment promotes positive employment outcomes for people with disabilities by encouraging employers and others to recognize the value and talent they bring to the workplace.
Source: U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP).
- Because – Public Service Announcement [YouTube]
Because PSA [formats: open, closed, spanish, audio-described]
- I Can – Public Service Announcement [YouTube]
I Can PSA [formats: open, closed, spanish, audio-described]
- What Can YOU Do? Campaign for Disability Employment Outreach Toolkits
Web: whatcanyoudocampaign.org; youtube.com/user/TheWhatcanyoudo
Accessible Design & ADA Videos
Accessible Parking Video Fact Sheet [captioned, YouTube]
(7:56 min.) Overviews accessible parking requirements from the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design. Produced by the Great Plains ADA Center.
- Why do accessible parking spaces have to be level and what does ‘level’ mean? [captioned, YouTube](2:15 min.) Describes the importance of a level accessible parking space and gives an example of an unsafe situation where a cross slope was too steep. Produced by the Northwest ADA Center.
Accessible Sidewalks Video Series [captioned]
Four-part video series developed by the U.S. Access Board to illustrate issues and considerations in the design of sidewalks. The series covers access for pedestrians with mobility impairments, including those who use wheelchairs, and pedestrians who are blind or have low vision.
ADA Accessible Playground Guidelines [captioned, YouTube]
(5:30 min.) Based on the U.S. Access Board Accessibility Guidelines for Play Areas. The intended audience includes disability advocates, parents of children with disabilities, and others interested in altering and existing playgound or constructing a new play area. Produced by the Alabama Council for Developmental Disabilities and Disability Rights, an affiliate of the Southeast ADA Center, a member of the ADA National Network.
Service Animals and Transit Systems [11:07 minutes]
Learn about the rights and responsibilities of riders and transit operators regarding service animals and transit systems.
Service Animals Playlist
- Service Animals Are Welcome [30-seconds]
- Service Animals and the ADA – Part 1 [10:30 minutes, ASL]
Source: Great Lakes ADA Center – ASL Resources
Questions on Accessible Media?
- For questions on captioning and making media accessible,
contact Your ADA Center or call toll-free 1-800-949-4232