June 28, 2022
Source: Administration for Accessible Living (ACL)
The Biden-Harris Administration has launched a new initiative to expand the availability of at-home tests that are more accessible for people who are blind or have low vision. The tests work with a compatible Bluetooth-enabled smartphone and free app to provide users with audible instructions and audible test results. Read more about the tests.
How to get the tests:
- Order online or by calling 1-800-232-0233.
- Each order will include two rapid-antigen tests that are more accessible for people who are blind or have low vision.
- Orders will ship free, while supplies last.
Because supplies are limited, please order the more accessible tests only if you do not have options for using the standard tests. If you have someone you trust who can help you administer the test and interpret results (in person, or through a video platform like FaceTime or Zoom), or can use assistive technology (such as AIRA or Be My Eyes), please order the standard tests.
This initiative complements the Administration’s efforts to expand production of more accessible tests and work with private sector partners on the development of new accessible tests.
Need more assistance?
The trained staff at the Disability Information and Access Line(DIAL) can provide additional assistance with:
- Ordering tests,
- Understanding instructions for test administration and test results.
- Providing alternative instructions for traditional at-home tests for people who are unable to access, read, or understand the manufacturer’s version.
For those who cannot use an at-home test, DIAL operators can:
- Assist with ordering “swab and send” kits to collect a sample and mail it back for results.
- Connect callers to local organizations for assistance locating other testing options in their community, including in-home testing programs or transportation or companion support to visit a community-based testing site.
- Call 888-677-1199 Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Eastern) or email DIAL@usaginganddisability.org
News source: acl.gov/news-and-events/announcements/now-available-free-home-covid-19-tests-people-who-are-blind-or-have