Flexible Supports for College Success
Wednesday, March 6, 2024
3:00 PM to 4:00 PM, Eastern Time
Are you interested in learning what supports are available for college students with intellectual disabilities? Presenters Ashley Luce and Maria Paiewonsky will explore the comprehensive supports available on college campuses. Luke SaintAmour, a student at UMass Boston, will join to share his perspective.
Over the past 20 years, through innovative advocacy and educational policy, individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) have had the opportunity to attend college. For students enrolled in inclusive postsecondary education programs, this means enrolling in typical college classes alongside their peers. Whether students are enrolled to audit a class or take it for credit, students with IDD have demonstrated that they are not passive learners in college. Instead, they have demonstrated that, with appropriate support, they are actively engaged in classes, gaining knowledge and skills that align with the course objectives.
This webinar will shed light on the range of resources and strategies available to help students excel in inclusive programs. Our presenters will share their insights and experiences and suggest best practices.
Key topics we will cover:
- Supported Education: Learn how peer mentors and educational coaches provide individualized support to students.
- Campus Resources: Discover disability services accommodations and campus support center offerings.
- Student Perspectives: Hear stories from current students on their experience using and accessing campus support services.
By attending this webinar, you will gain a deeper understanding of supports available on college campuses. Whether you are an educator, administrator, parent, or student, this webinar will provide valuable information and perspectives on supporting students to achieve success.
For questions about the webinar, contact Sheila at email@example.com.
- Ashley Luce, Program Manager, Postsecondary Education, Institute for Community Inclusion, UMass Boston
- Maria Paiewonsky, Project Director, Institute for Community Inclusion, UMass Boston
- Luke SaintAmour, Student, UMass Boston
Event Categories: Think College Webinar
Host: Think College National Coordinating Center