Creating a Disability-Inclusive Workplace: The Role of Accommodations
Wednesday, July 19, 2023
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM Eastern time
Hosts: EARN and the Job Accommodation Network (JAN)
Explore the vital role accommodations play in creating inclusive workplaces and advancing the goals of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Rehab Act) and the 33rd anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. The primary goals of the Rehab Act and ADA include full participation, equal opportunity, independent living, and economic self-sufficiency. These laws form the foundation of disability inclusion in the United States.
To celebrate the anniversaries of the Rehab Act and ADA, EARN and the Job Accommodation Network (JAN) are hosting a discussion on the significance of accommodations in achieving the goals of the Rehab Act and ADA and how they contribute to creating inclusive workplaces.
The provision of accommodation is an essential element in meeting the goals of the Rehab Act and the ADA. Some people with disabilities need accommodations for equal workplace opportunity and success at work. A transparent and coherent accommodation process is not only required by the Rehab Act and ADA but also is a salient part of cultivating an inclusive workplace culture.
In this webinar, attendees will:
- Understand the impact of the Rehab Act and ADA on today’s workplaces;
- Discover the role accommodations play in building an inclusive workplace culture; and
- Learn how to employ effective accommodation practices that go beyond compliance.
- Tracie DeFreitas, Program Leader, Director of Training, Services, and Outreach, JAN
- Robert F. Blake, Deputy Director, Office of Diversity and Equal Opportunity (ODEO), NASA, Johnson Space Center
- Jed Seifert, Co-Founder, Stakes Manufacturing