Assisting Older Borrowers in Navigating the Changing Federal Student Loan System
Tuesday, March 28, 2023
1:00 pm -2:15 pm, Eastern time
The last three years have marked unprecedented change in the federal student loan system. This training will provide a summary of these changes—including President Biden’s current cancellation announcement, the COVID-19 payment pause, the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Waiver, the Income Driven Repayment Account Adjustment, and the “Fresh Start” for borrowers with defaulted loans. Presenters will also explain how advocates can help older borrowers benefit from these changes and how to prepare for when repayment restarts later this year.
Participants in this training will:
- Understand the current time-limited federal student loan flexibilities in place that can help older Americans obtain federal student loan relief, including potential balance cancellation and removal of loans from default.
- Learn what older borrowers should do to prepare for when the COVID-19 payment pause ends.
- Kyra Taylor, Staff Attorney, National Consumer Law Center
- Abby Shafroth, Director of the Student Loan Borrower Assistance Project, National Consumer Law Center
- Alpha Taylor, Staff Attorney, National Consumer Law Center
- Amy Czulada, Outreach & Advocacy Manager, Student Borrower Protection Center
Accessibility and Archive:
Capacity for this session is limited to 3,000 participants, and all participants will have the option of accessing audio through the computer or by phone. Closed captioning will be available. Please be sure to log onto the webinar a few minutes early in order to secure your place for the live presentation on Zoom. If you would like to request ASL interpretation or have other accessibility related questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least a week in advance.
This webinar will be recorded and available on our website shortly after the presentation. The recording and training materials will also be emailed to all registrants within a few days after the training. We are unable to offer CEUs or other certifications. Thank you for understanding.