ADA Information for:
to receive training updates and news on disability.
Find your ADA Center
Southeast ADA Newsroom
News Articles listed by Year
- Southeast ADA Center cited under "Technology Access in the News"
in RT/AT Impact newsletter of the Center on Effective Rehabilitation Technology service delivery
(March 29, 2013)
The RT/AT Impact newsletter will be published quarterly to share information on CERT’s latest activities and findings, current policy issues, related events, and notifications for all upcoming dissemination and knowledge translation events.
- 2012 in Review: Southeast ADA Center in the News
(January 4, 2013)
Read about the projects, staff, and affiliates of the Southeast ADA Center, a project of the Burton Blatt Institute (BBI) at Syracuse University, whose research, experiences, and expertise have been highlighted in the media during the past year.
- Southeast ADA Center, Kentucky Affiliate create guide for veterans: Know Your Employment Rights Under the ADA
(November 6, 2012)
The Southeast ADA Center and its Kentucky Affiliate, MLM Associates, have created an employment rights guide for veterans with disabilities. The guide includes practical information to help veterans with disabilities understand their rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). View: Know Your Employment Rights Under the ADA - A Guide for Veterans [PDF].
- Southeast ADA Center celebrates National Disability Employment Awareness Month and Disability Mentoring Day
(November 6, 2012)
The Southeast ADA Center, a project of the Burton Blatt Institute at Syracuse University, coordinated five National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) and Disability Mentoring Day (DMD) activities with businesses in the Atlanta, Ga. area. Darden Restaurants (Longhorn Steak House and Olive Garden) and Wal-Mart (Sam's Club) stepped up to the plate by providing job shadowing and meal donations for 68 youth and adults with disabilities.
- Southeast ADA Center develops voting and disability resource list
(October 31, 2012)
The Southeast ADA Center, a project of BBI, developed the Voting and Disability Resource List [PDF] to provide information about resources for accessible voting, reports and guidelines on voting system accessibility, and best practices for achieving voter access.
- Southeast ADA Center featured in ADA Anniversary news story on accessible parking
WSB-TV (ABC), Atlanta
(July 26, 2012)
Mary Morder from the Southeast ADA Center was interviewed for a story on accessible parking concerns of a metro-Atlanta hardware store that aired on the 22nd anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Note: While the broadcast was captioned, the online video on the WSB-TV website is not. View: Transcript of the news story on accessible parking • Video, uncaptioned: Hardware store questioned over access for disabled customers.
- Southeast ADA Center and Leadership Network Offer Online ADA Anniversary Toolkit to Celebrate 22nd ADA Anniversary
(July 12, 2012)
To celebrate the 22nd Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Southeast ADA Center and its State Leadership Network have created an ADA Anniversary Toolkit for use by the public and the media, packed with resources and information about the law and the latest ADA developments for persons with disabilities, veterans, businesses, and state and local governments.
- Southeast ADA Center Participates in Panel Discussion with National Social Security Advisory Board
(May 9, 2012)
- Southeast ADA Center Selected as One of Regional Resources for Persons With Disabilities to Offer Comments at Fact-Finding Panel
San Francisco Chronicle
(May 9, 2012)
- Get to Know: Mary Morder, Southeast ADA Center
Burton Blatt Institute (BBI) Connected E-newsletter
- National ADA Symposium spotlights 2010 standards
StarNewsOnline.com Blog - Endless Options for All Disabilities
(March 19, 2012)
The Southeast ADA Center co-sponsored the 2012 National ADA Symposium
that was held March 12-14 in Orlando, Florida.
- Southeast ADA Center and BBI staff members present at National ADA Symposium 2012
The National ADA Symposium, held March 12-14 in Orlando, Florida and co-sponsored by the Southeast ADA Center, provides comprehensive information on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations and guidelines, implementation strategies, and best practices through dynamic, interactive sessions.
- Elementary Pilot Project Inspires Children with and without Disabilities to Dream Big for Their Futures
Georgia PTA Newsletter- The Voice
(March 2012, pages 10-11)
The Georgia Parent Teacher Association (PTA) newsletter The Voice features an article on I Have a Dream: Creating Your Life Portfolio, the pilot program designed by the Southeast ADA Center in collaboration with Nesbit Elementary School in the Atlanta area to introduce and expose students with and without disabilities and their parents, through the arts and music, to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) along with the myriad of education and career options available to them beyond their K-12 educational years. Learn More: Dreams4mylife.org.
- Atlanta elementary school students inspired by adults with disabilities
Inside Syracuse University (SU) - Engaging the World
(November 1, 2011)
Successful adults with disabilities from throughout the metro-Atlanta area inspired children at Gwinnett County's Nesbit Elementary School to dare to dream for their futures as part of a new disability mentoring day and career expo pilot program.
- Disability Mentoring Day & Career Expo at Nesbit Elementary in Gwinnett County, GA [YouTube, captioned, 8 min.]
Mentors with disabilities share their professional and personal successes with children from Nesbit Elementary School in Gwinnett County, GA. I Have a Dream: Creating Your Life Portfolio is part of a new disability mentoring day and career expo pilot program created by the Southeast ADA Center designed to break down barriers and introduce students with and without disabilities to successful individuals with disabilities from the community. Learn More: Dreams4mylife.org
- Southeast ADA Center and Nesbit Elementary School Host Disability Mentoring Day and Career Expo for Students and Families on Oct. 12
- Nesbit Elementary Hosting Disability Mentoring Day
Tucker Patch News
- Nesbit Elementary holds mentoring day
Gwinnett Daily Post
- Grant Awarded to Burton Blatt Institute Will Increase ADA Educational Resources
Rehab Management - Rehab Today Newsletter
- Taste of Beauty Weekend and the documentary "Defining Beauty: Ms. Wheelchair America” [audio, MP3 file]
Handle with Care radio broadcast
Highlights from the Taste of Beauty Weekend, which supported the documentary, "Defining Beauty: Ms. Wheelchair America" and the Southeast ADA Center project in the Atlanta office of the Burton Blatt Institute at Syracuse University.
- Film Highlights Ms. Wheelchair America: "Defining Beauty" [video, uncaptioned]
(May 10, 2011)
Ms. Wheelchair Georgia Kathleen Rice, Miss Georgia USA Kailyn Reque, and award-winning documentary film maker Manuela Ikenze spoke about the documentary film, "Defining Beauty: Ms. Wheelchair America," to premiere in Atlanta on May 14-15 during the Taste of Beauty Weekend.
- Learn More about the Southeast ADA Center and Burton Blatt Institute (BBI) at Syracuse University [audio, MP3 file]
"At Your Service" radio broadcast from the Georgia Radio Reading Service (GARRS)
Pamela Williamson, Project Director of the Southeast ADA Center, is featured talking about the work of the Southeast ADA Center and the Burton Blatt Institute (BBI) at Syracuse University.