Find your ADA Center
News for Business Groups
Join This Online May 24 Event: The Inclusive Fitness Virtual Conference
May 8, 2017
Source: Cornell University
Join This May 24 Event: The Inclusive Fitness Virtual Conference
FREE Event - Registration is required at http://register.yangtaninstitute.org/register/index.cfm?event=6333
You can participate by telephone or internet connection.
When: Wednesday - May 24, 2017 from 1:30 to 3:00 PM Eastern time
Research shows that people with intellectual, developmental, and other disabilities are more susceptible to compromised health and preventable secondary conditions. Individuals with disabilities can experience the well-documented benefits of a healthy lifestyle and physical activity; however there continue to be limited opportunities to participate in age-appropriate, inclusive, community-based fitness and wellness programming.
The intent of this conference is to provide information for fitness/wellness professionals, individuals with disabilities, family members and others, to improve access to and inclusion in community-based programs and services for people with intellectual, developmental and other disabilities.
This interactive event will highlight lessons learned from two demonstration grants implemented by Daemen College and SUNY Upstate Medical University through the New York State Developmental Disabilities Planning Council Inclusive Fitness Initiative. Participants will:
- Consider the difference between "inclusive" and "adaptive" programming
- Learn about the design of the Daemen and SUNY grant projects
- Hear about the individual and community-level impacts of the projects
- Take away suggestions for "best practices" in inclusion
- Have the opportunity to suggest content for the Inclusive Fitness Toolkit, which will be available in Fall 2017.
Link: Go to website for News Source